Thursday 14 May 2009

Freddy and the Fairy


This is my entry to the Waterstones competition 'Picture This' to find illustrator for new Julia Donaldson book. It's been really good to make an entry as it included character design - which after the Beast of the Thames 'pulling teeth' experience - I actually really enjoyed! The competition brief was for one double page spread (above) and design for the three main characters and some beasties (below). Despite the fact that I hate bloody fairies, I think Besse Belle turned out to be my favourite. If I had time to redo the double page spread -which, of course, I don't, that would be crazy, I would vary the scale of the figures much more, as I think they all look a bit the same. I would also change the perspective so that it looked much more like the fairy was about to be dropped from a great height, and possibly put a hedgehog underneath her. Did I mention that I hate fairies?

4 comments:

elizabeth barnett said...

i love these jenny. you too have been a busy bee! the tree is great. go you!

rong sun said...

really like this one, nice color, style and a owl in the hole!:-)

Claire Stringer said...

I love it. Poor little fairy though!

suz said...

wow i really like this, your style is great, well done.